Friday, September 3, 2010

Vegetarian curry with tamarind



I went through a phase of making Laksa a while ago and had some tamarind paste left in the press.  Tamarind is used to sour curries and I thought it would make a good addition to a curry just made with mild curry powder. The tamarind is soaked in a small quantity of boiling water first and then pushed through a metal sieve. You don't eat the seeds. I also added some garam masala which I have had lying around for ages. I really just want to get rid of this. It is rarely called for in the recipes that I use and I don't like throwing anything out. I picked a good handful of small chard leaves from the garden too. I wanted to get a nice tart tomatoey flavour, so I added a few chopped sun dried tomatoes to the mix too. The rest of the ingredients are largely what I had to hand.

2 Onions
2 Carrots
2 Celery sticks
3 cloves of garlic (from my father in laws garden)
The stalk of a broccoli head that we used up during the week
1 Chili with the seeds removed
A handful of sultanas
1 tablespoon of sunflower oil
2 tablespoons of mild curry powder
1 teaspoon of garam masala
A chunk of tamarind (about 20g)
1 tin of whole tomatoes + the tin filled with cold water
3 sun dried tomatoes chopped very small
1 teaspoon of vegetable stock powder
A handful of small chard leaves

Chop all of the vegetables into bite sized pieces - except the onions and garlic, chop these finely.
Fry the onion and garlic in the oil for a few minutes. Add the curry paste and garam masala and fry for another minute or 2 to release the flavours. Then add all of the other ingredients except the chard and give it a good stir. Cook for about 30 to 40 minutes until the vegetables are all tender. Throw the chard in for the last few minutes.

I served this with some boiled white basmati rice. It had a lovely rich flavour.

No comments:

Post a Comment