Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Small sunflowers

A few years ago I kept the seed from a sunflower that I grew in the garden. I wasn't sure what I would do with them, but I let them dry out and then put them in a big pickle jar in the shed. Forgot about them last year and just planted a few from a packet.

Early in the season this year, I planted a few from a packet in individual cells of potting compost. Planted out in the garden they suffered various maladies - slugs and high winds taking a few out. Only one made it to decent sunflower height.

Around the time the first set were a foot or two high I decided to plant some of the saved ones. They germinated well and I planted them on the shady side of the garden. No more room on the sunny side, so I thought I would give them a try. I am not sure if it was the shade or the later planting that did for them, but they didn't flourish as they should have.

Towards the end of the summer when the weather was starting to get windy they were about six feet tall. One gusty night most of them got knocked down. I cut about a foot length of the flowers off and brought them inside. At this stage only one or 2 had bloomed and they were very small. A few weeks later though every one I brought inside had flowered beautifully.
This picture does not do them justice as they are bit beyond their best by now, but they were not such a disappointment after all. I have kept more seed - from the early planted one that got really big and will be sure to plant lots of them next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment