Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Superquinn name change - what about the bread?

I read today that SuperValue will finally drop the Superquinn name and rebrand the stores. This was a while in the works I reckon, but is still a bit of a worry. The crown jewels for SQ has always been the bread. Some people go on about the sausages, but they are not the best thing about SQ for me.

I never understood why someone else could not make a good sausage. All the butchers in the country could not beat a supermarket. Bizarre.

Bread on the other hand is a big deal. Irish bread has traditionally been white sliced rubbish. A variety of brands selling the same muck under different names. SQ was different. They had an attitude to bread that made it seem like it mattered. I have tried to find good bread in Dublin before. And have had a hard time of it. There is a bakery near my house, but the bread is no good. I don't know why they bother other than that the shop is already rented. So if you like good bread make sure to buy some in SuperQuinn. We are probably safe though - Musgraves are not going to lower the quality on this without turning a lot of their customers away.

The bottom end of the market is getting crowded in Ireland so the only place for a retailer to go is up.

No comments:

Post a Comment