Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Chard Saag

This is a type of curried spinach from India. I don't grow spinach, so I used chard instead. We were very pleased with the result.
First I softened an onion and a few cloves of chopped garlic in some oil in a thick based, large pot. Once this was softened I added a bird eye chilli. Also chopped and with the seeds in for heat. Then I added a large quantity of washed an destalked chard that I had cut into strips. I used about 600g for my wife an I and this worked out as enough for the 2 of us for dinner. 600g is a huge amount of chard though - it will take a few minutes to wash and chop this up.
Next I added a tablespoon of curry powder and mixed the whole lot up. As the spinach wilts it releases water/juices which collect in the bottom of the pan. These need to be evaporated/reduced before you can serve this up. Finally I added a tin of tomatoes with their juice. I broke the tomatoes up with a wooden spoon.
I let the whole lot simmer for about 20 minutes with the lid off and it was ready to serve.
I served this with cous cous - which sounds weird and was :) The more traditional fried potatoes would have been better. But is was a mid week afterall.

No comments:

Post a Comment